10 Tips to Protect Children from Pesticide and Lead
in Your home
pesticides and other household chemicals,
including chlorine bleach, out of children's
reach -- preferably in a locked cabinet.
Label FIRST! Pesticide products, household
cleaning products, and pet products can be dangerous or ineffective if too
much or too little is used.
Before applying pesticides or other
household chemicals, remove children and their toys, as well as pets, from the
area. Keep children and pets away
until the pesticide has dried or as long as is recommended on the label.
If your use of a pesticide or other
household chemical is interrupted (perhaps by a phone call), properly
reclose the container and remove it from
childrenís reach. Always use household products in child-resistant packaging
transfer pesticides to other containers that children may
associate with food or drink (like soda bottles), and never place rodent or
insect baits where small children can get to them.
insect repellents to children, read all directions first; do
not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin; do not apply to eyes, mouth,
hands, or directly on the face; and use just enough to cover exposed skin or
clothing, but do not use under clothing.
Many homes built before 1978 have
lead-based paint. If you plan to remodel or renovate,
get your home tested. Donít try to
remove lead paint yourself.
- Ask about lead when
buying or renting a home. Sellers and landlords must disclose
known lead hazards in houses or apartments built before 1978.
child tested for lead. There are no visible symptoms of lead
poisoning, and children may suffer behavior or learning problems as a result
of exposure to lead hazards.
childrenís hands, toys, and bottles often. Regularly clean
floors, window sills, and other surfaces to reduce possible exposure to lead
and pesticide residues.
For further information contact the
Free safety tips: